- New people coming on in the next few weeks. Leave feedback.
- New page on the website for doodads all in one place. improvephotography.com/doodads
- Keep it positive in the groups!
Welcoming Craig Stampfli to the Podcast today.
Jeff – With Apple refreshes coming soon, nerd out on a couple of things coming that will help photographers (make Lightroom go faster)
- Thunderbolt 3
- M.2 SSD. Totally different form factor of drives, same flash technology just connected to the computer in a way to actually make it go as fast as it can. In some testing has promised significantly faster read/write speeds (2.5GB read, 1.5GB write) than the 2.5” SSD drives we are all using today, but in real life testing of “normal” disk usage it has been about 10% better. I want to get one of these and test it out to see if the photography specific purposes it is better.
- Speaking of flash improvements, Intel is working on a technology called X-Point (cross point) that it has tested to be 1,000 faster than the flash we have today. So M.2 is faster because it is connected in a new way to make the existing flash go as fast as it can, but X-Point is a new type of flash that can go faster than the NAND tech in SSD drives today.
- Intel NUC (Next Unit of Computing). https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc6i5syh.html
Craig- New techniques to try on a weekend, learn something new.
- Star Trails – Star Stax free software.
- Light trails, car lights at night.
- Get up early (!) and shoot a sunrise, get that soft light and long shadows.
- Shoot 12 exposures only with the rear LCD screen taped off, forces you to read the settings.
- Focus stacking, what is it and how to do it? Prompt for Jim as I don’t know how to do it but want to learn.
Erica – Historical Photo Processing: Wet Plate Collodion
- Combined love for photography, history, and chemistry
- Joys of trying something new (for me) but old (for the industry)
- Greater appreciation for the art
- Desire to learn more
- The process
- Workshops at UA Creative Photography & Training
Doodads of the Week!