Darin sits down with the very talented photographer, Suzy Simons, to discuss her life-long love affair with light. Suzy shares a unique perspective on how she came into the world of professional photography. This talented image creator helps Darin & the audience understand how she transforms light into photos cherished by multiple generations.
What's in this episode:
- Forcing yourself to shoot in Manual Mode may be the nudge needed to get you off Auto.
- Getting to know your camera & the Exposure Triangle.
- Thoughts on classical photography training versus newer methods of learning the craft.
- What it feels like to learn from photography greats like Robert Sheppard & Bob Kist at Fresno State University.
- How to fail & learn during each photo shoot.
- Confidence can go much further than you think!
- Having a genuine interest in your clients helps build rapport & a comfortable shooting environment.
- Making your subjects feel beautiful & look beautiful.
- Reasons why it is better to be a photographer versus trying to be a chiropractor!
- Know your location & be prepared to show it your clients. (Huge time saving tip from Suzy!)
- Understanding the basics of composition for Portrait Photography.
- Going further by being adaptable & spontaneous!
- Unguarded Moments: The Soul of a Great Portrait.
- Suzy's Website – (A great place to learn more about Suzy Simons & her work!)
- Suzy's Facebook Page – (Stay up to date with what Suzy is doing!)
- Suzy's Pinterest Page – (Some really neat & creative ideas!)
- Follow Suzy on Instagram
SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST ON YOUR PHONE (FREE!)
For iPhone/iPad/iPod listeners – Open the “podcasts” app on your device (it’s one of the pre-installed apps from Apple) and search for the Improve Photography Podcast from within that app. Every time I produce a new episode, you’ll get it downloaded right on your iDevice. You can also use this link to the show in the iTunes store (free).
For Android listeners – Download the Stitcher Radio app (free) and search for “Improve Photography Podcast.” Or, if you have already downloaded a podcasting client, follow the directions in the next sentence.
For podcast enthusiasts – If you already listen to podcasts and have a podcatcher that you prefer, the feed you’ll need to add is https://improvephotography.com/feed/podcast
For those who don’t have a mobile device – You can always listen to the show by clicking the audio file at the top of this episode.