Jim hosts an informative & fun roundtable discussion about planning for a Landscape Photography Shoot with FOUR other photographers. Joining Jim in this episode are Darin Mellor, Jeff Harmon, Brian McGuckin, & Scott Davenport.
What's in this episode:
- Big news from Improve Photography!
- Five perspectives from a panel of photographers featured in this episode.
- Why shooting & composing might not be as important as planning for your next Landscape Photography Shoot.
- The importance of knowing your location & where to find things you are interested in shooting.
- Using technology like 500px Maps to find interesting & unique places that could be closer than you think!
- How studying different weather conditions can impact the image; BUT it could impact your life or ability to shoot another day!
- Making the most of the shots with the gear on hand & not fretting leaving something behind.
- Insight into photographers tending to overpack.
- Knowing the when & where of sun/moonrises & sun/moonsets; tips on being prepared to shoot with optimal light.
- Keeping your family & friends at ease telling them where you are going & when you plan to return.
- Safety steps, (or missteps for Darin), when shooting Landscape Photography.
- Weather, tide, & more can change in seconds. – Do not get stuck on the tide or be swept away!
- Location, location, location! – The location or the weather can allow you to shoot less or more.
- Traveling in pairs or using a guide might be the best way to shoot another day!
- Some basic settings or go-to advice when going out for a Landscape Shoot!
- Scott Davenport's Work
- 500px Maps – (A really cool tool Scott shared with us today to see HIGH QUALITY shots from around the world!)
- Bruarfoss – (Jim's guide to Cold Weather Photography & directions to Bruarfoss in Iceland)
- Wolfram Alpha – (Jim's geeky way of finding out when the sunset is in 2060!)
- The Photographer's Ephemeris – (A really advanced moon & sun tracking app mentioned by Scott.)
- Sun Seeker – (Darin's go to App for tracking the sun in 3D.)
- PhotoPills – (Brian's favorite app for tracking everything from the sun to the Milky Way!)
- Yongnuo's RF 603 II Wireless Flash Transmitters – (Jeff Harmon's Doodad of the Week!)
- YN-560 iV – (Yongnuo's newest speed light.)
- YN-560TX Controller – (An alternative to the YN-560 iV.)
- EyeEm – (Darin Mellor's Doodad of the Week!)
- Extra Batteries, Memory Cards, and Cliff Bars – (Brian McGuckin's Doodads of the Week!)
- Tiffen Circular Polarizer – (Scott Davenport's Doodad of the Week!)
- Show Focus Points Plug-In for Lightroom – (Jim Harmer's Doodad of the Week!)
SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST ON YOUR PHONE (FREE!)
For iPhone/iPad/iPod listeners – Open the “podcasts” app on your device (it's one of the pre-installed apps from Apple) and search for the Improve Photography Podcast from within that app. Every time I produce a new episode, you’ll get it downloaded right on your iDevice. You can also use this link to the show in the iTunes store (free).
For Android listeners – Download the Stitcher Radio app (free) and search for “Improve Photography Podcast.” Or, if you have already downloaded a podcasting client, follow the directions in the next sentence.
For podcast enthusiasts – If you already listen to podcasts and have a podcatcher that you prefer, the feed you’ll need to add is https://improvephotography.com/feed/podcast
For those who don’t have a mobile device – You can always listen to the show by clicking the audio file at the top of this episode.