Jim & Darin are joined by 2013 Astrophotographer of the year Mark Gee. Mark joins us from Wellington, New Zealand & shares his insights into Astrophotography & Night Photography. Examples of his work can be found on his Art of Night Website.
What's in this episode:
- A discussion of what an established Astrophotographer like Mark tosses into his camera bag before a shoot.
- Camera settings needed to pull of a successful shoot of the cosmos at various points in the evening.
- The importance of getting the composition by knowing how to operate your camera in the dark.
- Carefully considering the composition & focus.
- Mark's technique for focusing in the dark beyond simply using infinity focus.
- The best ways to photograph portraits & interesting items in the foreground & background with night photography.
- Techniques Mark uses to do panoramas of the night sky.
- Fracture: Print Directly on Glass! – (Use Coupon Code: PhotosonGlass15 to get 15% off.)
- Photo Pills – (Mark's Doodad of the Week)
- Jim's 2015 Lightroom Presets – (Jim's Doodad of the Week and they go on sale December 1st, 2014.)
- Stark Walk App – (Darin's Doodad of the Week)
- GigaPan – (Robotic Arm used for taking panoramas like Mark)
- Autopano Giga – (Image Stitching Software for Panoramas)
- Canon 6D – (Mark's Camera of Choice)
- Manfroto Tripods – (Darin & Mark's Tripod of Choice)
- Canon EF 14 mm f/2.8L II USM Ultra-Wide Angle Prime Lens – (Mark's go-to lens)
- Canon EF 24 mm f/1.4L II USM Wide Angle Prime Lens– (Mark's favorite lens for panoramas)