Erica and Connor share their post-wedding/post-event workflow system, including uploading, culling, and editing. For more details about the post-wedding workflow system that won’t make you crazy, as well as links to some amazing resources and tools, check out Erica’s recent 2-part blog post series here and here.
Things to do before/during the wedding to make this part easier:
- Connor – Make sure to sync the time between cameras. I always forget to do this when working with or as a second shooter.
- Erica – sync, shoot on 2 memory cards, have a good image/file organizational system
- Erica – back up
- Connor- I have learned that taking a little more time in the uploading process can save a lot of time in the editing process.
- Connor – Rename files for events and by card/camera.
- Make some general adjustment presets you can apply when uploading photos.
- Erica – cull in Photomechanic
- Connor- After upload cull through images. My method for events is 2 passes.
- First set a filter for unflagged photos and go through all the photos using a pick or reject flagging method.
- Pick anything and everything that is potentially usable.
- On a second pass select the flagged filter and go through all photos rating them on a 2,3,4 basis.
- 2’s get tossed 3’s can stay as filler and 4’s are my favorite shots.
- Depending on how many 4’s I have I may do another pass separating them into 4’s (pretty good) and 5’s work I want to show off.
- Now I will go through and adjust the presets to improve their appearance.
- Do a general tweaking pass over
- Then a more refined pass to apply a little more. Graduated filters, spot removal, etc for higher rated images.
- Make one last pass over the highest rated photos grading them with colors 6,7,8 on the keyboard for red, yellow, green
- Now I am looking for a handful of images to round trip to use as showpieces in my album design
- Erica – move culled images into LR, custom preset applied upon import
- Erica – 5 day editing process broken down into bite-sized pieces
Check out the blog posts for more ideas about sharing images with clients, designing and ordering products, following up, and asking for reviews!