Erica, Nick, & Darin discuss when & where they got the photography bug, challenges of going pro, & lessons learned along the way! The three also discuss a product they had to have in the beginning. We thank the listeners/readers of Improve Photography for suggesting this topic!
What's in this episode:
- How Nick turned a bad situation into a positive one by learning photography.
- Darin's escape from his dead-end job to become a professional photographer.
- Erica's passion for photography leads her to being the phenomenal image maker she is today.
- The challenges one faces when first launching a photography business.
- Hurdles to overcome when making the leap from part-time to full-time photographer.
- Learning how to take in money from clients & be responsible with it.
- Establishing a focus helps the aspiring become the accomplishing.
- Marketing, social media, & contracts. – Oh my!
- Tacking time from scheduling to delivery can really assist in assessing your worth.
- A Full-Frame Camera is not going to make you a better photographer. – The Canon 7D-MK II and the Nikon D7200 are wonderful APS-C (CropSensor) Cameras that will get you far!
- A ‘fast' lens is a new photographer's best friend. – It does not have to be expensive like the new Canon 50mm f/1.8 II!
- Improve Photography's Online Workshops & Photo Classes.
- TheLawTog – Tips Erica found helpful when starting a photography business, which are still helpful as an established professional!
SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST ON YOUR PHONE (FREE!)
For iPhone/iPad/iPod listeners – We’ll be in iTunes within a few days! Just search “Portrait Session” to find it when it’s available.
For Android listeners – Download the Stitcher Radio app (free) and search for “Portrait Session Podcast.” We should be there very shortly. Or, if you have already downloaded a podcasting client, follow the directions in the next sentence.
For podcast enthusiasts – If you already listen to podcasts and have a podcatcher that you prefer, the feed you’ll need to add is https://improvephotography.com/category/session/feed/
For those who don’t have a mobile device – You can always listen to the show by clicking the audio file at the top of this episode.