Topic 1: 2016 Industry Prediction Follow-Up
- Nick: 5d iv.. will be underwhelming, but just good enough to keep me a canon shooter
- Jeff: Adobe is going to make graphics acceleration work in Lightroom
- Jim: 5dIV will have 4k
- Brian: Mine deals w/ Jeff
Topic 2: PR Photography (Sandy)
- With the holidays comes LOTS of PR work for me. It’s really a great way to get really good at using your speedlight on-camera as well as your settings in general. I have just probably in the last year gotten to the point where I don’t need to think about it too much.
- There are a few ways to get PR jobs. Any event that is sponsored by a company, contact their PR and Marketing department and ask if they need coverage. Soon you could be their go-to for that event.
- Couple things: don’t use fancy presets. Just make sure your WB and exposure is good. If you want to get “artsy”, do it with different angles and lenses.
Topic 3: Quitting my day Job
- Proud and anxious to say that early in 2017 I will be leaving my day job to pursue photography full time.
- I have enough clientele to sustain myself in paying of bills and basic costs of living for the next year and have decided to take the leap towards growing my business, but not in a way you might think…
- Blurb – Go to blurb.com/improve and enter offer code “improve” to get 25% off
Topic 5: 2017 Industry Predictions
- Jim: Fuji’s medium format camera will cost $7k body only.
- Sony A7R3 will fix menu systems and be the lust-worthy camera of the year
- iPhone 8 will have the same camera as the 7
- Apple will release a keyboard that costs $200+
- Connor: Canon will finally release a full frame mirrorless that doesn’t require the purchase of new lenses.
- Connor: Adobe will stop using years as a part of their update names and rather move to version numbers or something of the like.
- Sandy: I predict that improve photography will add a new show.
- Jeff: Canon puts out a mirrorless camera that takes EF mount glass
Doodads of the Week!
- Jim: Buy tech one step back from cutting edge: Macbook Pro, iPhone (Samsung Galaxy Note 7), Tesla, etc.
- Sandy: Lens Wraps (for your camera body and/or lenses)
- Connor: Hot Melt Glue Gun and Gorilla Glue Sticks
- Doorandom: Amazon Echo Dot