The 5 things event photographers hate to hear!

I just finished another full day of shooting only to get home at midnight to start the download process. As I waited for the images to make their way from my memory cards to my computer, I started thinking about the 14 previous hours. I had worked really hard to make sure that I captured the entire day for my client. I was running around, climbing up on things, getting down on the floor, bending my body in all kids of ways, and I was physically and mentally exhausted. The majority of my clients fully appreciate my work, which is a great feeling. But there are still some people who think that we just hit a button on our camera, and that is the extent of our talents. It was at this point that I started to think of the top 5 things clients say that drive us event photographers crazy. Here is what I came up with:

Great camera... yeah... it was the camera.

1. “Nice pictures. You must have a great camera.”

This is the grand daddy of all of them! I have heard this so many times that it makes me cringe. People assume that a good camera takes a good photo. Really? Would you tell the chef in a restaurant, “Wow, that meal was delicious, you must have really good pots and pans?” It is our job to remind people that cameras are our tools from which we create art. It is also our responsibility to control that camera to create amazing images, to prove our point. People ask me why I share my techniques on my blog. I share them for two reasons. First, I believe in teaching others like my mentors have taught me. Secondly, when I explain the thought process behind an image, and describe the settings that I chose for that shot, it helps my clients (who do read my blog) further understand that I am creating the photo, not the camera.

Friend with a nice camera... ugh!

2. “We would hire you, but my friend has a DSLR and he/she can shoot it…”

I am sure that every event photographer has heard this countless times. This goes right back to my first point. Just because they have a DSLR, does not make them qualified to shoot your event. Now when people say this to me, I actually smile at them, pause for a couple of seconds, and then try to explain the challenges of good photography. But, I do so in a couple of seconds. If they seem to understand my reasoning, then I will continue talking to them. If not, I end the conversation immediately since there is no reason to continue talking with them. (And then I walk away, cringing at the thought of a novice trying to shoot the first dance in a very dark room with no knowledge of how to use their camera or flash.)

3. “Can’t you just give me your unedited images? That would be easier right?”

I know that some photographers have no problem in giving away their unedited images, but I refuse to do so. Why? Because I feel that these images are only half done. When a client gets my finished products, I want them to be perfect. Those images represent me and my brand. It is true that it would be very easy to burn a CD and hand it over to my clients. But this also means that they have images, which they are going to show to all their friends and family, that do not show my best work. Would Mercedes or BMW sell an automobile that is half built? No way!

4. “Do you mind if our friend shoots too?”

This is a tough one. I have had clients ask me this question, and although I am not happy about it, I usually end up agreeing to this (with some words of warning). I have seen this situation go two ways. First, the friend is respectful of my work and makes sure not to interfere with me and my shots. Then there is the second scenario where the friend (or family member in this case) followed me everywhere and tried to capture images of the same groups that I had posed. This is really irritating because it means that I end up with photos with half of the people looking at the wrong camera. Ughhh.

Outdoor weddings are VERY tricky--especially if it's at a bad time of day!

5. “Can you shoot my wedding? It is outside at noon.”

This one always gets me. Yeah, I know…people are going to plan their weddings whenever they want, and as professional photographers we are trained to handle any situation, but it still pains me to think of the potential shadow and light mixture that I could be fighting against. Can’t we just make a national law against mid-day outdoor weddings? Enough said!

Runners up:

“Those are great images. You got really lucky.”

“Can you remove my wrinkles, removes the bags under my eyes, fix my hair on every image?”

“I saw you shoot thousands of images but only see 400 on our gallery. Can we see the rest?”

Yeah, especially the 2nd and 4th!
    All these things have happened to me and in the end I’m like “THANK GOD it’s over!”
    People are sooooooo rude and they think that this job is really easy…Guess what people! NOPE it’s not! (but we love it :P)

I found myself in the other side of point 2. I was the friend asked to take the pictures.
    I really advised that they get a real photographer, not just an amateur like me.
    There was no point. And they asked another friend, too.
    I hate every single moment of it, too much pressure, and knowing I was not good enough.
    It even made me lose the passion for photography for a while.

I can relate to most of the point even not being a pro.

How many times have I set up a group shot and then had a bunch of folks shoot the group from over my shoulder?

Once I got sick of it, and all the waiting for everyone else to copy my photo like a cheap xerox. As the next group gathered, I told the faux-tographers to get their shot first, and then I’d get mine. When they asked me to pose it, and I said that I’d let them pose their image, a guy cursed me.

On the flip side there are event photogs who treat anyone else there with a camera as the bubonic plague. Sorry but you don’t get the sole right to the event. I was at a State Capital building the other day staying clear of the 5 bridal pro’s and never being in their way, scene not making a peep yet they ALL gave me the stink eye, sneers, made comments to their assistant and whatnot. They all came off as jackasses to their clients iyam.

I couldn’t agree more with refusing to give clients unedited photos. Sure, it would be a lot easier, faster and cheaper, but the client won’t be as satisfied either. I never want to give my clients anything less than the best photography.
    I don’t really mind other people taking snapshots at events as long as they aren’t in my way or distracting my subjects. They can capture my posed scene, but it won’t be the same as my image. It’s when they pull the subject’s attention away from me, or walk in front of me that gets frustrating.
    It is a constant process of educating potential clients of the value they get from professional photography rather what they can shoot with their own DSLR. Unfortunately some people just don’t see the difference in the final product, and don’t consider it worth the price. That’s ok though, and you have good advice to not spend too much time explaining all the details.

I can see your point about not giving your clients all the unedited images as well as the 400 edited ones, even though I am one of those photographers who gives my clients all the unedited images as well. I give my clients all the pictures for two reasons: 1, I normally end up only ending up with approximately 250-300 good pictures that I end up editing and can’t justify in my mind why a client should pay so much money for only +-245 images, secondly the law in my country states that the copyright of commissioned work belongs to the one who commissioned the work, which means that all the pictures taken actually belong to the person who is paying me to do the shoot.

@Stephen – I can’t imagine the law pertains to ALL of the photos. With no knowledge of the law, I would venture a guess that it pertains to the pictures you release to the client provided you aren’t keeping great pictures for you to sell or use for marketing. If you were required to hand over all pictures regardless of quality, then that same law would seemingly require a commissioned sketch artist to hand over all scrapped sketches even though they were unfinished attempts.

I have encountered everyone of these!!! I love it when the person with the $$ DSLR never takes it off auto mode…I’m like “you should put it on p or tv, or av and play with it..” They’re like oh no I like it like this…grrrr…And..because I have do have a nice camera people want me to take wedding pics…I’d really rather not, I know how hard those folks work!

too bad you hate 1. i still agree that newer dslr takes better image quality picture. and you cant compare photographer to a chef. pans didn’t evolved like the camera wait until it become like star trek like you just say the name of the food and voila its in your plate. the difference is always on experienced. experienced photographer hit it better than novice. its annoying but that is how they compare it nowadays

Scott G: I think your wrong. If I commission you to take pictures, the pictures are mine. All of the pictures are mine, not just the ones you choose to give me. Any contract we agree to can change the bargain of course, but basically the phototog is just hired help and fruits of your labor are mine.

Ray, it’s very possible (or even likely) that I’m wrong. However if I am wrong I feel that the law is wrong but that is my opinion and we are all entitled to our own opinion.